1. Xylocarpus rumphii at Sungei Buloh Wetland ReserveI spotted 2 mature and 1 young Xylocarpus rumphii at Sungei Buloh in 2009. Initially I had thought that they were common enough, until I was informed by Jean Yong that he had previously only found 1 young plant there. I managed to find this other young plant Jean spotted previously as well eventually. Unfortunately, one of the mature trees was chopped down by NParks contractors who were clearing the area to plant some other endangered species, which left me rather shocked that they did not send anyone to check for rare plants before they clear an area (or perhaps they did but no one can recognise it).
After this incident, I decided to inform NParks the locations of the critically endangered plants I came across just to ensure that they get the necessary protection. In this case, I eventually informed NParks staff, Hui Ping, the location of the remaining plants, and she had tagged the plants to ensure that they won't be removed unintentionally.
2. Merope angulata along boardwalk at Sungei Buloh Wetland ReserveFound 2 young Merope angulata growing near the boardwalk in 2010, and have informed the NParks staff, Hui Ping, of the location.
3. Intsia bijuga near boardwalk at Sungei Buloh Wetland ReserveFound 2 Intsia bijuga growing near the boardwalk in 2010, and have informed the NParks staff, Hui Ping, of the location.
4. Sonneratia caseolaris at KranjiFound a huge Sonneratia caseolaris near the back mangrove at Kranji Nature Trail in late 2010, and showed it to Brandon Chia who was with me. Brandon eventually showed the plant to other nature lovers, who in turn informed NParks.
5. Merope angulata at KranjiFound a huge patch of Merope angulata with at least 20 mature plants at Kranji Nature Trail at the back mangrove in 2011. Have taken the GPS and given it to NParks staff, Hui Ping.
6. Intsia bijuga at KranjiFound 1 Intsia bijuga along the main trail, and several at the back mangrove in 2011. Have taken the GPS and given it to NParks staff, Hui Ping.
7. Aegiceras corniculatum at KranjiFound several Aegiceras corniculatum at Kranji in 2011. Have brought NParks staff, Hui Ping, to search for them and got the GPS for a few. Found several more recently, and have spoken to the Assistant Director, Sharon Chan, about the find.
8. Smythea lanceata at KranjiFound 1 Smythea lanceata at the back mangrove in 2011. Have taken the GPS and a sample, and given them to NParks staff, Hui Ping.
9. Caesalpinia bonduc at PunggolFound 1 Caesalpinia bonduc at Punggol, which was chopped down by NParks contractors about the same time I informed NParks staff, Shufen. Fortunately, the plant was very hardy and regenerated very well. NParks had since done a few cuttings and several were planted at HortParks.
9. Xylocarpus rumphii at SemakauFound 1 young plant in 2011 while doing a survey with Siyang and his colleagues. We have since written a paper on the flora of Semakau.
10. Cynometra ramiflora at SemakauFound several plants in 2011 while doing a survey with Siyang and his colleagues. We have since written a paper on the flora of Semakau.
11. Smythea lanceata at SemakauWas already recorded in previous surveys, but we found a few and now knows the location during a survey in 2011 with Siyang and his colleagues. I have no idea what it was when we spotted it. The identity was later confirmed the Botanic Gardens.
12. Tacca leontopetaloides at SemakauWas already recorded in previous surveys, but I found a location with a huge population in 2011 and informed NParks staff, Shufen. NParks had sent a staff to collect some samples and cuttings for propagation.
13. Intsia bijuga at SeletarFound 1 tree in 2011, and have blogged about it. Unfortunately, this area is not managed by NParks.
14. Intsia bijuga at MandaiFound several plants there in 2009 and 2010 and have blogged about it. Unfortunately, this area is not managed by NParks. Have sent Siva the GPS in case they need the info for submissions to protect the area.
15. Merope angulata at MandaiFound many plants there in 2009 and have blogged about it. Unfortunately, this area is not managed by NParks. Have sent Siva the GPS in case they need the info for submissions to protect the area.
16. Finlaysonia obovata at various locations
While this plant is stated to be critically endangered, I have seen too many of them at various locations, and hence I just blogged about them but did not inform the authorities.
17. Sonnertia ovata at various locationsWhile this plant is stated to be critically endangered, I have seen too many of them at various locations, and hence I just blogged about them but did not inform the authorities.
18. Gymnanthera oblonga at Semakau
Found 1 plant during a survey in 2008, but unfortunately the students lost the specimen and I was not able to locate the plant again.
19. Gymnanthera oblonga at Pasir Ris
Saw several plants at Pasir Ris Park in 2011, but the area is not understand the conservation division of NParks. Understand that there are a number of plant experts there, so I have only blogged about it.
20. Xylocarpus rumphii at Sentosa
Most people are aware of 2 huge trees at Tanjong Rimau, but I wonder if any are aware of a much smaller one further away. Spotted this in 2007.
21. Sonneratia caseolaris at Berlayar Creek
Spotted 1 tall tree in 2012, and had informed NParks staff, Shufen and Benjamin, about it. Will be going back to check for fireflies at night...
22. Xylocarpus rumphii at Semakau & Pulau Senang
Found yet another young sapling on Semakau in Jun 2012, and another mature tree on Senang during a survey.
23. Smythea lanceata at Admiralty Park, Pulau Senang & Pulau Pawai
Spotted one patch climbing on a Thespesia populnea at Admiralty Park in July 2012, though I later learned that other people have also seen it previously. Spotted several of them during surveys at the 2 islands, and notified the NParks staff who were with me.
24. Intsia Bijuga at Admiralty Park & Pulau Senang
Most people are aware of the one at the bridge, but I recently found another one much further inland near a freshwater marsh area. It is likely that the NParks staff are aware of its presence though. Spotted 1 on Senang during a survey, and pointed it out to the NParks staff.