Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Epiphyllum Finally Blooms

My epiphyllum finally blooms!

Got this epiphyllum with ST and LK quite some time ago, and I have also given one leaf cutting to CH. So far, however, it has never flower, and my previous postings on this magnificent flower were based on my brother's epiphyllum.

Epiphyllum strictum
This is how the flower looked like around 10pm - about half opened.

Epiphyllum strictum
By 11.30pm, it was already in full bloom! Noticed that the flower looked quite different from my brother's epiphyllum though. The petals were much thinner, and the style was pink in colour, tipped with a yellow stigma. Not sure if this variety was also called Queen of the Night, though I doubt. My brother's epiphyllum also has more layers of petals, and personally, I think it's a little prettier compared to mine too. Hmm...

Epiphyllum strictum
Checked the Net and realised that while my brother's plant is Epiphyllum oxypetalum, mine is probably Epiphyllum strictum. Anyway, it's still a very magnificent flower, with a lovely fragrance.

Epiphyllum strictum
I wonder if the other bud will bloom tomorrow?

:)

Update:

Epiphyllum strictum
Indeed, the other bud bloomed!

Epiphyllum strictum
It somehow attracted more tiny little insects though.

Epiphyllum strictum
And here's a look at both tonite's flower, and last night's flower, which has withered.

Actually, in this very same pot, I actually have a few Epiphyllum oxypetalum too, though they had hardly bloomed so far. Hopefully there will be a time when both species of epiphyllums in this pot bloom together. That will truly be spectacular!

No comments: