Monday, May 18, 2009

Greater Coucal at NUS

Last Friday, I was on my way to my office when I saw something orange and black in colour flying up Kent Ridge.

Greater Coucal (Centropus sinensis)
It turned out to be a Greater Coucal (Centropus sinensis). This bird is a non-parasitic member of the cuckoo family, Cuculidae. Being a weak flier, it is usually seen on the ground foraging for small animals, fruits or seeds to feed on.

Greater Coucal (Centropus sinensis)
I used to regularly see Greater Coucals when I was a small boy living in a kampong. They can be rather huge, about the size of a small chicken. But ever since I moved to a HDB flat, I have not seen it. for the past few years, I have only been seeing the Lesser Coucal in the wild. Seeing this bird now sure brings back the good old memories... :)

1 comment:

Ying Wei said...

I saw one in my Hall before :D
That time it was jumping from one coconut tree to another XD